Friday, January 9, 2009

Sharing & Caring

Kathi & Sister Kelli

Ok, ok so I spent some time away from bloggieland to be with my sister Kelli. She's not only beautiful on the outside, she's beautiful on the inside. Each year around December 31st we spend several days running from store to store shopping for major bargains...no, I don't need anything but the time we spend together laughing and searching to see who can find the best deals or craziest gift is PRICELESS!. We try not to purchase anything unless it's 75% or more off. It's the hunt, we're true bargain hunters. This year I found myself a little heart broken for the local merchants as I could see from their great surplus they had a tough year.

Now I won't bore you with everything we found but I thought I'd share a couple highlights!

A stop at our local family florist Bachman's I couldn't have been more delighted to get this :).....
It's a poinsettia tree...it was originally $125 I drove it home for the low price of $5. The manager of Bachman's delighted when I said "I'll take it" her co-workers encouraged her to throw it away. She explained to me she just couldn't do that. We shared stories as a line of women gathered and listened to us, soon everyone standing there wanted one but alas, it was mine :). What will I do with this you may be asking yourself as did my husband George :). Of course it has to winter indoors in Minnesota but poinsettia's are hardy in warm weather and live a long time if you take care of them. I never have much success at getting them to turn color but they make the most beautiful green plants, in the spring when it's warm enough I take them outside, I stick them in a pot. They love it and thrive beautifully so don't throw out that poinsettia.

I was lucky enough to be the first one to eye these beauties! It's a Karen Neuburger cookie baking set. I've wanted a nice ceramic mixing bowl like this for a long time so when I saw the goodies inside I couldn't resist...as I walked around the store thinking what a wonderful gift this would make it became a battle between myself and another woman who had now thought the same thing....luckily, I was able to snag about 4 of these beauties! There were some with pancake mix for $6 and this set was $10! I bet you couldn't find a bowl for that price :)

Bargain of the year...a huge pile of velvet stockings....sister Kelli and I will participate in the Angel Tree again next Christmas, we plan on being prepared! I found these beauties for 90% off! Ok, I went a little overboard and bought 4o of them :). LOL! You should have seen people staring at my cart full. It was so funny!!! when I checked out and paid $11 I was the one smiling all the way to my car.

I can't wait to show you what sister Kelli gave me for Christmas! Even tough we weren't going to exchange gifts! That will be coming soon and you won't want to miss that one!

Have A Wonderful Weekend!
Kathi :)

13 comments:

TattingChic said...

Oh, that looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Enjoy your 5 dollar poinsettia tree!

Mari said...

You did so good! (and had fun while doing it!) I love spending time with my sisters too!
PS - Love your new header - that squirrel is too cute!

imjacobsmom said...

Shut up! $40! You and Kelli really hit the jackpot! I'm waiting for my friend Mary to pick me up - we're on our way to the Albertville Outlet Mall today. I hope I find bargains there. ~ Robyn

Milly said...

Wow, sounds like a great time and some great deals too!

I'm glad your back, too!

Vee ~ A Haven for Vee said...

Wow! I am very impressed. I admire your heart for the poinsettia. I can't stand them after Christmas and would cheerfully give them the boot, but you are making me second guess that. It's something about the red...the shedding... I hope that you'll show us again come summertime.

And you have me very curious about the gift that was not supposed to be given...

Wanita said...

What great buys you got, Kathi. It's wonderful that you and your sister can get together for a fun-filled day!

Blessings,
Wanita

Spanish Princess said...

Wow! That's some great bargins, but I wonder what your hubby's face looked like when you walked in the house with all those stockings!

Cinj said...

Ok, $5 for a poinsetta like that? I don't know how anyone could just throw a poinsetta away. One of these years I'm going to try to grow one again.

It looks like you're quite the bargain hunters. I enjoy shopping this time of year too, bargains galore! Actually I haven't been to the store quick enough since we moved here to let me get in on the 75% off bargains until this year so I know they must have had a HUGE surplus this year. I got 8 t-shirts for the kids and a men's Green Bay Packers sweatshirt today for $50 and I thought I did pretty good. The t-shirts were about $3.50 each and they weren't even Christmas shirts! I also got 4 brand new books for $8. I guess I know what I'll be doing for a while!

Sherri said...

Kathi, I'm so glad you gave that pointsettia tree a home! What great bargains you got!! Glad you got to spend some time with your sis!

Shelia said...

Hi, Kathi! Glad you had a great time with your sister. You've been missed! Great finds too.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Rachael said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Love yours.....what a neat banner you have :-)

You did REALLY well with your shopping....that poinsettia tree is really pretty!

Have a wonderful Sunday;-)

nikkicrumpet said...

40 of them!! wow you will be prepared. It's so cool you get to spend some quality time with your sister!

Rebecca said...

Gasp! Yes, I am gasping at the great deals you found! Wowwee at the poinsettia tree. And I love the mixing bowl goodies too. I've been wanting a nice size ceramic mixing bowl for some time too. Thats what I call very successful shopping.

I LOVE the picture of you and your sister. It is a beautiful picture of both of you. ((((Hugs))) to my two friends.